Our May 2023 Quick Question asks, “Which DOAC is a direct thrombin inhibitor? Our 70 respondents chose…
- Dabigatran [Pradaxa]: 56 [80%]
- Rivaroxaban [Xarelto]: 3 [4%]
- Apixaban [Eliquis]: 3 [4%]
- Warfarin [Coumadin]: 7 [10%]
- Clopidogrel [Plavix]: [2%]
Dabigatran is the direct thrombin inhibitor, whereas rivaroxaban and apixaban are direct anti-Xa inhibitors. Clopidogrel is an antiplatelet antithrombotic. Warfarin is not a direct anticoagulant, it is a time-honored oral vitamin K antagonist [VKA]. As an aside, the manufacturer has dropped the trademark Coumadin as many generic VKAs are now available. Thanks to all for your participation.